DIY Rustic Wooden Box Centerpiece

7:00:00 AM

I love centerpieces on my kitchen island, dinning and breakfast tables. They adds that extra hominess, warmth and personality to any space without any extra effort. They are so many different types of centerpieces that would reflect your inner style, you can practically change is out everyday.


Lately I have been loving these wooden box centerpieces. I saw them online for $25-$300 but either they were to long or their staining/ color wasn't right or the price was way to high. I had a piece of wood from a previous DIY so I made it myself.

Materials For  Stain:

 I decided to make my own wood stain because let me be honest, I am a beauty on a budget.

  • Quart Size Mason Jar
  • Distilled White Vinegar
  • Instant Coffee
  • 000-extra fine grade Steel Wool

Start off with a clean mason jar then add one pad of steel wool in it. Add 1 tablespoon of the coffee and then fill the jar with vinegar. You can let the stain sit for 3-24 hours. I let it sit for 2 days. The longer you let it sit, the darker the stain.

NB// For more of a gray undertone omit using the coffee and for more of a brownish color add more coffee.

NB//  Every one will likely get a different result and you might get a different result each time you make it.

Materials For Centerpiece

  • Gorilla Wood Glue
  • Liquid Nail (optional)
  • 1x4 and 1x6 whitewood board
  • Miter Saw
  • Clamps
  • Liquid Sander
  • Sandpaper(optional)
  • Polycrylic
  • Disposable Brush
  • DIY Wood Stain
Saw 1x6 board to 24", this is the base.

Saw 1x4 board to 2 24", this is for the long sides.

From the 1x4 board cut 2 4", this is for the end pieces.


Glue the pieces together, I used both wood and liquid sand.

Clamp them together after gluing then let it dry for 3-4 hours.

After glue is dried, sand all sides of the box, I used both liquid and paper for a smooth surface.  Dust off with a dust cloth before staining.


Outdoor or in a well ventilated area, apply stain with the brush. Allow it to dry for 3-4 hours. Add more coats for a richer color.

Once dried add a protective coat of Polycrylic.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your comment and feel free to take a look around.

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate